Maryborough Visitor Information
Visitor Information: Maryborough, Victoria, Australia
Maryborough is a small town located in the Central Goldfields region of Victoria, Australia. It is situated 58 km north-west of Ballarat and 168 km north-west of Melbourne. The town has a population of approximately 7,500 people and is known for its rich gold rush history.
Things to see and do
- Visit the Maryborough Regional Library, which houses a collection of over 52,000 items, including books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, and e-books.
- Take a stroll through the town's historic streets and admire the architecture of the buildings, many of which date back to the gold rush era.
- Visit the Maryborough Railway Station, which was constructed in 1890 and is regarded as one of the finest examples of Victorian railway architecture.
- Explore the town's gold rush history at the Central Goldfields Visitor Centre, which has a range of exhibits that showcase the region's mining heritage.
- Take a drive to nearby Dunolly and visit the Dunolly Museum, which displays a range of items related to the town's gold rush history.
Maryborough has a range of accommodation options to suit all budgets, including hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, and holiday parks. Some popular options include:
- The Junction Motel, which offers comfortable and affordable accommodation in the heart of town.
- The Royal Hotel, which is a historic pub that has been operating since the gold rush era and offers comfortable rooms and a restaurant.
- The Maryborough Caravan Park, which is located on the banks of the Maryborough Lake and offers affordable camping and cabin accommodation.
Maryborough is located approximately 2 hours' drive from Melbourne, via the Western Freeway and the Pyrenees Highway. There is also a daily train service from Melbourne to Maryborough, operated by V/Line.
Maryborough has a temperate climate, with warm summers and cool winters. Summer temperatures typically range from 15-30°C, while winter temperatures range from 4-14°C. The town receives an average of 600 mm of rainfall per year.
Maryborough hosts a range of events throughout the year, including:
- The Maryborough Highland Gathering, which is held annually on New Year's Day and features traditional Scottish games and entertainment.
- The Maryborough Rotary Market, which is held on the first Sunday of every month and offers a range of local products and produce.
- The Maryborough Harness Racing Club, which hosts regular race meets at the local trotting track.